Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Oops, I did it again...

Put 'em Up! Fruit
2 of 80 recipes...
76 to go...

Apple Cider and Apple Cider Vinegar
 
♫ Oops, I did it again ♫...
...I didn't read the recipe's directions in advance, AGAIN.  Rather I went to the store, bought all the ingredients to prepare four recipes from the Put 'em Up! Fruit cookbook (they were all tied together), and I should be all set right?  Wrong!!  Turns out it takes a couple months to make apple cider vinegar (aka a fermented liquid).  I should have been able to put that together since my boyfriend and I are currently brewing beer (thankfully he read the directions!!), and the beer is in the first stage of its fermentation; which takes about two weeks.
OH WELL!!  I now have ingredients to make jam instead of BBQ sauce.  But that's another day.
~~~~
 

Apple Cider
Now I don't own a food processor, so I got a good arm workout shredding 4 lbs. of apples with a hand shredder (if you can't imagine, it was some work).   Once shredded, I cooked the apples down in a large pot, bringing it to a simmer to extract the juices.  Using my homemade press (a cheesecloth lining a streamer attachment over a pot and a sauce pan to press out the liquid), I made 2¼ cups of cider that I will now use to make apple cider vinegar.



Apple Cider Vinegar
Combining regular vinegar with my homemade apple cider, covered with a couple layers of cheesecloth, and the mixture now sits upon my refrigerator for the next two or so months.  

TO BE CONTINUED... 


No comments:

Post a Comment