Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Orange you glad I didn't say banana?

2 of 80 recipes...
56 to go...
 

Orange Curd with Orange Dream Bars with Graham Cracker Crust
 
Whipping up this orange curd is similar to cooking hollandaise sauce, but with sugar.  Slow and steady, and whip whip whip; constantly whipping the mixture while cooking is necessary to keep it from breaking into scramble eggs with citrus and sugar.  I know this now, I didn't before. 
 
 
 
The end result is amazing; a very sweet topping for the Dream Bars.  The 'USE IT UP' recipe for this curd was supposed to be a crunchy, sweet wafer; but as I tried to illustrate in the photo, I had a huge issue trying to remove it from the baking dish.  This surprised me since there was a 1/2 of butter in this four ingredient recipe.  But it's stuck.  I'm currently soaking it in efforts to clean the dish.
 
 
Thinking of ways to 'USE IT UP' on my own, I referred the internet and nothing seemed easy but many things looked tasty (I'm being lazy).  But then I remembered something my mother did on one of our game nights with the nieces and nephew.  Here it is: cream cheese, graham crackers, and jalapeno jam; I substituted the curd for the jam.  This mix of simple ingredients is crazy sweet, but much better and easier than the Dream Bars.
 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment