Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Heck of a catch

2 of 80 recipes...
52 to go...
Blood Orange Marmalade & Glazed Salmon
 
For quality marmalade, there is a waiting period needed that allows for the thicker pieces of orange zest to soften; but this recipe takes the waiting game to a whole new level.  Three days are required to prepare the marmalade, and then another two weeks for the cure process. 
 
 
So far, the wait was worth every minute.  Mixed with white wine and soy sauce, the marmalade made a glaze that topped this giant salmon steak (courtesy of Ms. Dana, who gifted us the meat).  Broiled on low, I cooked the meat for a total of roughly fifteen minutes; with breaks for glaze application through out.
 
I had to get creative with my cooking process as the recipe called for placing the salmon on a broil pan or cooling rack over a cookie sheet for the juices and other excess to run off.  I had neither...so I used a muffin pan upside-down on a cookie sheet covered with tin foil.  It wasn't pretty, but it worked.   I just wish I covered the muffin pan with tin foil too.
 
Paired with some of Shayne's favorite veggies (and some green peppers), this was a healthy dish that made of top three list (per Shayne) from the Put 'em Up! Fruit cookbook.
 
After the use it up recipe...I now have three pints of marmalade, and unfortunately I'm not sure what to do with the rest of it as this recipe called for 1/2 cup.  If anyone reading this has a good recipe for Blood Orange Marmalade; message me.  Thanks in advance!
 
ADDITION...I almost forgot the part were the marmalade spit so much when waiting for it to come to temp, my stove top was all sorts of red (note: use pot with higher sides).  In addition, I saw marmalade aimed and fired in the direction of my face and unfortunately I had a few burn spots on my face and hands from the molten sugar mix.
Marmalade -1 vs. Mindy - 0

No comments:

Post a Comment