Saturday, March 1, 2014

Where's the banana?

2 of 80 recipes...
54 to go...
 
Orange Syrup & Citrus Splash
 
Saving the zest from an orange was somewhat of a task for me to remember; so rather my memory helping me with this recipe, I enjoyed two oranges for breakfast and cooked the shaved zest into an orange syrup.  Using the simple syrup method, I dissolved sugar in boiling water and then simmered with orange zest in the sugar mixture for an hour.  It smelled fantastic, unfortunately the orange flavor was faint.  However, rather than discarding the orange zest per the recipe, I plated the opaque  orange zest to let it cool on the dish shown in the picture (I'd do a different cooling method next time as they stuck really well to the plate.), and then sampled the zest to see if that had any flavor.  Did it ever and they were good.
The citrus splash was created by adding soda water to the orange syrup, similar to a homemade soda.  It was okay, but because the syrup was lacking in flavor, so was the drink. 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment