Thursday, April 24, 2014

grapefruit | CATCH UP

4 of 171 recipes...
123 to go... 

Grapefruit and Sultana Conserve
&
Sautéed Greens with Grapefruit Dressing

Let's start by informing you right away that my picture does this recipe no justice.  I see a pile of icky green stuff; something similar to what my mother would force us to eat as a kid, you know...health vegetables.   But thankfully over the years, I've acquired the love for kale; and through the suggestion of the cookbook, that's what I used for this 'use it up' recipe.  



Let's take a minute to rewind, back to the conserve.  It was sometime ago that I made this recipe, I almost forgot that I stowed it away in the cupboard because the instructions called for the conserve to cure for a couple weeks (in order for the grapefruit rinds to soften in the sweet mix of sugar and fruit).  

Fast forward,  I sauteed onions and kale in red wine vinegar and olive oil looked yummy, and then added the conserve, which added a whole other dimension to health veggies making them not so healthy anymore.   To accompany this side dish, I paired it with ham (Easter time, grocery store special).  Because the side dish was sweet, I couldn't have picked a better salty meat to go with it (totally by mistake).  Next time I will dice the ham and add it to the vegetables as I sauteed them before I add the conserve.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grapefruit Liqueur & Ultimate Margarita

Four...that's the magic number for vodka to become infused with grapefruit; four ingredients, and four weeks.  Ingredients: Vodka, grapefruit zest, grapefruit meat, and LOTS of sugar.  Time: two weeks with fruit meat and zest (no pith), strained and then an additional two weeks of rest.  Next came the hard part, mixing the cocktail.  In a shaker, mix a shot and a half of silver tequila, shot of infused vodka, 1 oz of fresh lime juice, 1/2 oz of fresh orange juice, and ice; and shake to your hearts content.  



You have to enjoy tequila to enjoy this drink, and thankfully I do; however my friend Pete does not.  I did have to add some water to cut the four strong flavors just a bit.  The tequila over powered the grapefruit flavor of the vodka, so my next drink with this vodka might be just lemon/lime soda or soda water.  But over all, because I love margaritas, I give this recipe two thumbs up!

Side Note: while making this recipe, I learned 1 fluid oz = 2 tbsp

No comments:

Post a Comment