Thursday, April 3, 2014

| Sugar SHOCK |

Put 'em Up! Fruit
2 of 171 recipes...
133 to go...

Candied Grapefruit Rinds & Chocolate-dipped Rinds

Boiling shaved grapefruit rinds in thick sugar water produces goodness similar to that of the after product from making orange syrup (from a previous post on 3/1).  Rather than using the syrup, I'm now using what flavored the syrup...the rinds.  After slowly simmering the rinds in the sugar water for an hour, I placed the rinds on a drying rack over night.  In the morning, I coated the tacky, translucent rinds in sugar.  


Check out my double boiler: a bowl in a small sauce pan with boiling water...IT WORKED!  As the chocolate chips began to melt, I wasn't getting a smooth chocolate for dipping.  So from a cookie recipe I've been making for years, I added a touch of shortening to the chocolate which made it more user friendly and the flavor of the chocolate is not altered.


The recipe called for the rinds to be dipped 1/2 - 3/4 into the chocolate.  After the first few that I dipped and then ate (quality control), I determined that I preferred little to no chocolate.  The candied grapefruit rinds alone are quite the treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment