Monday, January 27, 2014

I tried!

Put 'em Up! Fruit
3 to 80 recipes...
68 to go...

Marinated Shrimp Skewers

This recipe is part of the 'use it up' idea behind this cookbook, using the Classic Peach Jam my niece and I made a couple days ago.  Working together with my boyfriend this time, we skewed some good looking shrimp with vegetables on our pre-soaked wood skewer sticks.  Through them in the broiler and VOILA, we have an over-cooked dinner.  Enjoy honey.
 

Quite honestly, I'm sure this recipe could have had the potential to be delicious, but because of my inability to cook these little shrimp-i's properly the first and second time; I probably won't be making these again.  However, the peach jam is still güd and I will continue consuming it on my english muffins. 
Shifting gears now...breathe...
 
Corn Fritters with a Smoky Tomato Salsa

I was a little hesitant to make these next two recipes because they didn't sound appetizing to me, and there were no pictures to help me a long (sad but true).  I had a change of heart; rather than leaving them until the end of this journey, I thought I'd get it over with and end this book with a bang.

The salsa was easy to make.  I blanched the tomatoes (which is thankfully less intimidating now than before after making the peach jam), did some chop chop chop of some veggies, and cooked.  That's it folks.  Next time I make this, and I will, I'll be adding a wider variety of vegetables and I might blend it after the cooking stage to make is more of a not so chunky salsa.


Fritter?  This word alone does nothing for me.  It sounds like something fried you'd get from a fair wagon (which says something since I'm addicted to cheese curds); but thankfully for me these little pancake looking things are outstanding! I will make these again for sure.  I also determined that if you freeze them for later, they reheat very well.


I mentioned these little things look like pancakes...well the ingredients are similar to pancakes, so it fits.  What makes these corn fritters what they are: CORN :-), corn meal, and you fry them in a shallow bed of oil.  My amazing boyfriend had the grand-e-o-sis idea that we should add bacon to the batter next time.  OKAY!

BONUS SECTION!!!

Our beer is in the second stage of fermentation.

 

Roughly another month, we will hopefully be quenching out thirst with some amazing home-brewed beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment