Saturday, May 3, 2014

beer + caramels = OKAY!

ooey gooey, extra sticky...
Salted Beer Caramels
 
Having tried a few different recipes the hand full of months I've been making caramels, none have been easier than this.  There is a little more cooking time than the others, but I'm guessing that's because I used cold beer rather than room temp beer (recipe didn't specify).  I now have two absolutely amazing caramel recipes, the most recent is:
 
 
Salted Beer Caramels (by Becky's Blissful Bakery)
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup butter
1 cup corn syrup
1-14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-12oz bottle of your favorite beer (full flavored beer - experiment)
sea salt
 
Directions: melt butter and brown sugar together in large saucepan over medium heat.  Slowly add beer, syrup then milk while stirring constantly (will scorch otherwise).  Cook caramels to 240 degrees.  Remove from heat, stir in vanilla extract.  Pour mixture into a 9x13 pan lined with parchment paper.
Sprinkle sea salt on top of hot caramels.  Allow to fully cool at least 4-5 hours.
Cut into little bit size pieces and wrap with waxed paper.  Store in fridge.  Good for about three weeks.
 
side note: I sprinkled pretzel pieces on top of 1/2 the caramels.  It's good, but not needed.  Great without.
 
I'll have to try this recipe again when my home brewed beer is ready, but for this recipe I used Deschutes' Black Butte Porter. 


No comments:

Post a Comment