Friday, October 3, 2014

Chick of the pea?

2 of 171 recipes...
99 to go...

Braised Chickpeas
with Lemon Cranberry Chutney

A lot of work went into making this dish: chopping and preparing the chutney (six months ago), chopping and preparing the braised chickpeas, and then the rice.  The rice was AWESOME; I made it with chicken broth in a pressure cooker.  The braised chickpeas were OKAY; I'd make this again but without a few of the ingredients.  The lemon cranberry chutney was AWFUL.  In my not so professional opinion, the sweet, tangy, mustard flavors didn't mix well.  With an almost marmalade texture, it kind of slopped out of the jar.



While waiting for the braised chickpeas to simmer for an hour or so, I took a heaping spoon full of the chutney that I've been excited for for months; and from that point on, I was disappointed and greatly hoped the main dish didn't taste as bad as the chutney, especially since the recipe made a lot of food!  My favorite part of this dish was the rice topped with cilantro.  If I were grading recipes, this one gets an F!!  

Two things I gain from this recipe:
1) I learned that I really enjoy chickpeas straight out of the can.  YUMMY!
2) a mile marker of less than a triple digit number of recipes to go.  YAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment