Sunday, November 9, 2014

I'll CURRY you to the END

8 of 171 recipes...
87 to go...

There is under two months to complete my 2014 New Year's resolution (which, if you just joined the show, is to complete all the recipes in Put 'em Up! Fruit), and I have sadly come to the realization that I won't be able to finish all the recipes in this book due to  my lack of research of when certain fruits were in season.  I could use frozen fruit for some of the recipes, but there is one fruit that has me stumped.  QUINCE, I can't find this fruit anywhere.  If someone can help me, I'm open for any ideas.

To get as close as I can to triumph over a book that has simply taught me how to cook, I'll keep cooking on...
I'm clustering recipes together again because I'd rather keep cooking than writing to finish this project.

Pear and Prune Compote & 
Turkey Curry
In two words: HELL YES.  There are a couple home runs in this book thus far; both of these recipes separately are outstanding.  I mixed the pear and prune compote with yogurt this morning and I had curry leftovers for dinner tonight for dinner; but together the mix of flavors when hot danced on my pallet like Romeo and Juliet would have.


Pears Poached in Wine & 
Hearty Greens with Poached Pears
I'm a wine-o and I enjoy my fruit, though I wasn't sure how this recipe would turn out.  With my b.s. radar on high, I made a beautiful salad with a homemade vinaigrette, blue cheese, and toasted pecans (rather than toasted walnuts, per the recipe, because the pecans were on hand) paired with a amazing flavor of arugula and poached pears.  This salad was awesome.
  

Peach Melba Compote & 
English Meringues
Hello sugar, topped with sugar, served with a side of sugar.  This recipes was overly sweet and hard to eat because it was so stinkin sweet.  They are both good separately, but together the level of sweetness was too much for me.


Berry Jelly & 
Berry Vinaigrette
The berry jelly takes some time to prepare because you have to wait for the berries to drain; and for that, I expected this stuff to be awesome and sadly it fell short.  I had the recipe for the 'Use it Up' vinaigrette, but I wanted something special to add the vinaigrette to rather than building my own salad.  Overall, the mix was tasty; I make a damn good salad.


THANK YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment